Im 40 have GERD. I take Prevacid one a day to cope. I'm now taking 600mg Zantac (ranitidine) as alternative. Is it safe or go back to Prevacid. ?

Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Ppi's

There is increasing reports about harmful effects of ppi's such as prevacid, prilosec, nexium, (esomeprazole)etc and at your young age, zantac and carafate may be a better choice for long term use.
A gastroenterologist is best qualified to evaluate,advise and treat you if your gerd isn't responding well to diet and medication. Abstinence from alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and oily foods may be helpful.

In brief: Ppi's

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Marsha Davis