Is it safe to take ceterizine (zyrtec) and loratadine (claritin) together? My nasal congestion is usually fine, but when going to a client's house wit

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Yes but

One can usually double up the dose on the non-sedating antihistamines without any problem. However this would not help your nasal congestion which requires a product with a -D .
Nasal steroid is usually more effective. In a pinch, one may use Afrin nasal spray to decongest the dose but this should not be used for more than 4 or 5 days.

In brief: Yes but

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Corey Clay

In brief: Not effective

Taking both together is not likely to add any significant improvement in symptoms.
The question is cut off, but I'm guessing you are well controlled until you are exposed to certain household allergens. Maybe cat dander? Would work with an allergist to develop an effective "as needed" strategy for such an exposure. Sometimes taking cetirizine beginning 2 days ahead of your visit is enough.

In brief: Not effective

Dr. Corey Clay
Dr. Corey Clay
Dr. Adam Smith