What is this hard, rubber-y lump under my skin? Is this a sign of a tumor?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Impossible to say
Without actually examining it and possibly getting a biopsy, it's impossible to say what you have.
Based on your description of a rubbery lump under your skin, my guess would be either lipoma or some cyst like epidermal inclusion cyst. Those are benign. But you may have a rare soft tissue sarcoma, which can be dangerous. You should have it checked.

In brief: Impossible to say
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. James Huang
In brief: Maybe not
There are many causes of "hard, rubber-y lumpy dumpy lump" under the skin.
It depends on location and appearance. It could be a lymph node, lipoma (fat collection), hematoma, foreign body, neuroma, scrofula, or other causes. See your physician. They will run tests and may obtain a biopsy to determine what it is. If it is near a tendon, fast growing, and impairs function, surgery is indicated.

In brief: Maybe not
Dr. James Huang
Dr. James Huang
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Probably not
Cancer would not be the first thing that i would think of.
Most likely this is a cyst or a benign fatty tumor called a lipoma. You should however bring it to the attention of your friendly primary care physician.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner