What is croup and how do I treat it?

Croup treatment. Croup is a viral infection that can usually be managed at home, although it's reassuring to have a doctor examine your child. I instruct my parents to use a vaporizer, increasing the humidity as much as possible. If that's not enough, make a 'tent' with sheets around the bed and position the vaporizer in the tent. Carefully secure the sheets! going outside, in the cold air may break a spell.
Larynx. Croup is the inflammation of the larynx, known as voicebox. Most frequently seen in children, it may be encountered by people of all ages. Barking cough is the hallmark of croup and when the vocal cords become swollen and the lumen of the larynx gets narrow, a stridor (high pitch sound) occurs, it represents an emergency that needs to be dealt with. O/w, viral croup is a self limiting illness.
A Viral Infection. A classic sound described as a seal bark or dog bark. Usually worse at nite and 1st thing in the morning.It can be confirmed by your pediatrician. Learn to ignore the sound, but judge the severity by the discomfort of the child.Mild discomfort may respond to steaming the bathroom or a walk outside, more severe breathing trouble needs seen asap in the local er.The root infection is a cold virus.
Viral illness. Croup is usually viral illness affecting upper airway that is self limited. Most cases of viral croup are mild and can be treated at home. Usually with barking type of cough. Should consult physician to evaluate child for degree of respiratory difficulty and confirm diagnosis. Sometimes necessary to add steroids to albuterol and humidifier therapy if difficulty breathing.