What is croup and how do I treat it?

In brief: Croup treatment
Croup is a viral infection that can usually be managed at home, although it's reassuring to have a doctor examine your child.
I instruct my parents to use a vaporizer, increasing the humidity as much as possible. If that's not enough, make a 'tent' with sheets around the bed and position the vaporizer in the tent. Carefully secure the sheets! going outside, in the cold air may break a spell.

In brief: Croup treatment
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Larynx
Croup is the inflammation of the larynx, known as voicebox.
Most frequently seen in children, it may be encountered by people of all ages. Barking cough is the hallmark of croup and when the vocal cords become swollen and the lumen of the larynx gets narrow, a stridor (high pitch sound) occurs, it represents an emergency that needs to be dealt with. O/w, viral croup is a self limiting illness.

In brief: Larynx
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
that is usually manifested at night. Shower room treatments are helpful as they appear to relieve the edema of the larynx. If difficulty breathing progresses despite those treatments, referral to ER is mandatory to prevent suffocation. Warm humid environment, epinephrine, oxygen are frequently used. Fever reducers and other supportive measures go along as well.
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: A Viral Infection
A classic sound described as a seal bark or dog bark.
Usually worse at nite and 1st thing in the morning.It can be confirmed by your pediatrician. Learn to ignore the sound, but judge the severity by the discomfort of the child.Mild discomfort may respond to steaming the bathroom or a walk outside, more severe breathing trouble needs seen asap in the local er.The root infection is a cold virus.

In brief: A Viral Infection
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Viral illness
Croup is usually viral illness affecting upper airway that is self limited.
Most cases of viral croup are mild and can be treated at home. Usually with barking type of cough. Should consult physician to evaluate child for degree of respiratory difficulty and confirm diagnosis. Sometimes necessary to add steroids to albuterol and humidifier therapy if difficulty breathing.

In brief: Viral illness
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care