What are the side-effects of IV iron? Will I have to get a port for infusions or will they use a regular IV? I'm getting them 1x/week for 8 weeks.

In brief: IV iron

Studies show IV iron can cause bloating or swelling of the face arms legs, blurred vision, chest pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, and several other side effects.
IV iron is needed in the setting of anemia and a peripheral IV can be started weekly. The side effects can be watched for and are not guaranteed to happen. If indicated the benefits outweigh the risks. Focus on benefits. Good luck.

In brief: IV iron

Dr. Jack Hinkle