What is the procedure to have a bunionectomy pin removed? Is it another surgery?

Dr. Richard Zimon

In brief: Technically

it is another "surgery" and requires anesthesia however it is considered "minor" compared with the bunionectomy itself! Hope this helps! Dr Z

In brief: Technically

Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: A piece of cake.

I guess one can always make a surgery out of it, but under normal circumstance, the pin can be removed in the office.
I have removed thousands of them without anesthesia or an operative suite. In most cases there is minimal or absolutely no pain. The pins or k-wires, as some call them, often loosen up by them selves thus making removal necessary and premature.

In brief: A piece of cake.

Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Vicken Poochikian