I take 30mg of adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) XR but I am breaking out in hives due to anxiety. Is it safe to take hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg?

Dr. Terrence Bethea
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Anxiety driven hives

Hydroxyzine is a reasonable intervention given that it works fairly well for anxiety.
There are no known drug-drug interactions between Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) and hydroxyzine (Vistaril/Atarax). But if you find sedation from hydroxyzine to be a problem, you may consider trying cetirizine (Zyrtec). It shouldn't have the calming effect of hydroxyzine but may treat the hives all the same.

In brief: Anxiety driven hives

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Adjust dose

Although hydroxyzine may help anxiety, it is better to talk to your doctor to adjust the dose of the above stimulants or find substitutes.
It is usually not a good idea to take a drug to counter the side effects from another drug unless the drug is absolutely essential .

In brief: Adjust dose

Dr. Eric Weisman