Was given Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for a uti. I read that is a very dangerous antibiotic. Is there any precautions I should take and exactly how safe is it?

Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim)

Septra, (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is a sulfa antibiotic and is one of the oldest.
I am not quite sure about dangerous, however it needs to.be used with caution with pregnancy and with young children. If you are allergic to sulfa it can be a problem. Sulfa though has been used for millions of uti iinfections through the years and has not caused problems. If no allergies I still use it frequently for first line treatment U

Dr. Jane Van Dis