I just had inginial hernia repair with mesh about 5 days ago and its very painful when I cough is this normal?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Yes.

Unfortunately, hernia repair is typically associated with discomfort for "days-to-weeks", depending on the method of repair and size of the hernia.
Follow your surgeons advice for pain control. If your pain is not well-controlled, your surgeon will want to hear from you. Rest assured, though: the pain tends to lessen with each passing day.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Jon Krook
Surgery

In brief: Probably

It's normal to have some pain after inguinal hernia surgery.
Coughing is going to "test" the repair. Having pain 5 days out with coughing is still within the normal course. Make sure you go to your post-op check to have it looked at.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery