Can babies have seizures while in utero? Is it rare if so?

In brief: Never heard of it

I suppose it could happen, but in 4 decades of practice I've never heard of it or seen a case.
The periodic jerking feeling some detect late in pregnancy is usually hiccups. This spasmodic event with the breathing muscle happens spontaneously, continues unabated for a while and stops, only to start over at some point.These kids often do it for a few months after birth.Bothers moms more than baby.

In brief: Never heard of it

We neurologists have never experienced cases of in utero seizure disorders, and this is due to the immaturity of the brain function prior to birth.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey