When I put my head back I was rubbing my hand up and down my neck and my right ear had a poping noise in it what could this be?

Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Air from the ear

You probably had a popping in your ears that results from the ear drum moving from the ear escaping from the rust schism tube.
It sounds like a crackle in the ear and does not happen often. If the noise bothers you, you can try to hold your nose a blow air into the middle ear space by forcing air into the Eustachian tube by blowing against pursed lips as if blowing a balloon up and they will pop

In brief: Air from the ear

Dr. Jack Hinkle