ANA 1:640 nucleolar (lab range 1:160 borderline, 1:320 positive). No symptoms, all tests ok (capillaroscopy, blood, chest x-ray, abdominal & lymph node ultrasound) Family history (Mother MCTD, her cousin SLE). Drs say my ANA's familial. I fear cancer?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Observation

The positive ANA suggests that you are at a higher risk in developing an autoimmune disorder but is not diagnostic of any disease by itself.
Thus you need to inform your doctor of this finding should you develop joint, thyroid, skin, intestinal , etc symptoms. Your risk for cancer is not higher because of the elevated ANA.

In brief: Observation

Dr. Ashesh Patel

In brief: Why you fear cancer?

With positive ANA test and family history of autoimmune diseases, you are predisposed to autoimmune diseases.
So, yes, your doctor is correct. But with no symptoms and all other tests being normal, you don't have any autoimmune diseases now NOR is it likely that you have cancer now. However, you may develop an autoimmune disease in the future. Talk to your doctor about your concern for cancer.

In brief: Why you fear cancer?

Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Ana

Without symptoms I would not put that much emphasis on ANA .
Continue to t th to live healthy life. Good diet exercise etc.

In brief: Ana

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology