Decay at tooth margin causing an abscess. Dentist wants to decrease infection with antibiotic before possible root canal retreatment. Good idea?

If your dentist said so I would agree.

If your dentist said so I would agree.
Dr. Jerry Brown
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Rt Canal Retreatment

Good day; Decay around the margin would not effect a need for endodontic retreatment of the tooth.
Typical retreatment and antibiotic medication are usually initiated simultaneously causing the swelling and discomfort to diminish.

In brief: Rt Canal Retreatment

In brief: Of Course

Always a great idea to decrease an infection.
Did the decay cause a gingival abscess or has the decay entered the canal itself? If into the canal, it's not a possible root canal, it's a necessary root canal. Let your dentist evaluate and provide appropriate care.

In brief: Of Course

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine