I have pain in my thumb joint I think its the mp joint what are some causes of this?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Tendon/joint

Pain at the level of the metacarpophalangeal (mp) joint without antecedent trauma is most commonly due to trigger thumb.
The pain and tenderness is located on the palmar (front) surface. Other symptoms include morning. Another cause of mp joint pain is arthritis. After trauma, causes include tendonitis, sprain, joint injury (cartilage damage) and fracture. See a hand surgeon for an evaluation.

In brief: Tendon/joint

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Arthritis

Chronic pain in the mp joint if the thumb is most likely caused by degeneration of the joint surfaced causing inflammation and pain.
This could be from a remote injury that damaged the cartilage or chronic overuse.

In brief: Arthritis

Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Stuart Hilliard
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine