In general, is Gemzar (gemcitabine) as chemo for pancreatic cancer more potent with many more side effects that most other agents, like 5-FU?

One of the best drug. Gemzar (gemcitabine) was the first approved drug and was superior to 5-FU for treating this cancer . So it continues to be the key drugs in the newer combinatiions being developed(or recently developed such as NAb-Paclitaxel+Gemzar (gemcitabine)). It does not have any serious toxicities just lowers the blood counts which is mostly inconsequential.