I give my son Ambien (zolpidem) for sleep. The problem is that he hates to take them. Could I put it in his food to make it easier on him and get the same effect?

He should see doctor. How old is your son ? Ambien (zolpidem) is not recommended for children. It is critical that he be seen by his own doctor to determine cause of sleep problems and determine best treatment . U also want to identify what he dislikes about taking it; Once understood, the doctor can work with you and your son to treat sleep issues in a way that is comfortable for him .
No,no. Ambien (zolpidem) is not entirely safe even for adults and definitely be avoided for children. i presume that you are using your own Rx to treat your child. I agree with the comment that he needs to see his doctor to determine the cause for the insomnia. In the meanwhile keep him away from bright light (electronic devices, TV) exposure near bedtime and keep noise level down in the evening.