Hi, I haven't had a period at all last month. I noticed black/dark brown blood in my underwear today. Should I worry? It doesn't have a smell to it.

Dr. Katherine Caldwell
General Practice

In brief: Changes in menses

If you are sexually active (even if you use contraception), it's always worth checking for pregnancy.
That's the most common reason for missing a period. If the test is negative, then the dark brown tissue is your next period starting, and things are just a bit off this month. That happens to most women at some point, for a variety of reasons. Nobody has completely regular periods all the time.

In brief: Changes in menses

Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Dr. Jane Van Dis