HI I have a cold sore and I need medication to prevent it from getting worse.

Doctor can evaluate. People who get recurrent cold sores on the lips or other skin areas can benefit from taking antivirals such as Valtrex (valacyclovir) either only as each cold sore is starting to develop, or taking some antiviral each day. One's doctor can help decide which is the better way. A patient may also try HealthTap PRIME for a video consultation with a doctor (fee is the same whether a medication is prescribed or not).