My friend is getting weaker with lung cancer. Do most lung cancer patients die before a year?

Lung cancer. Most patients with lung cancer esp stage 4 or advanced lung cancer carry a poor prognosis and survival is 12-15 months average with modern era chemotherapy. It can lead to progressive generalized weakness, fatigue and failure to thrive. Your friends stage and health status will determine his outcome. The role of chemotherapy is palliative;tarceva/iressa can work in nonsmokers w egfr mutations.
Depends . Cell type size location metastasis not uncommon with small cell.