I have a sudden onset of about 1.5" of very swollen vein on the top of my left foot - about the width of my pinkie. What could cause this? Concerned?

Dr. Marvin Ott
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Veins come and go

due to hydration status, the position you are holding your leg in, and a variety of other factors.
The fact that one is standing out is of no particular significance. Hope this helps!

In brief: Veins come and go

Dr. Marvin Ott
Dr. Marvin Ott

In brief: Swollen Foot Vein

I am assuming it does not hurt.
Sudden onset of vein swelling would be rare. Veins fill up down there when the blood can not be moved upwards towards your heart. Any compression of the veins in the lower leg, like from tight socks or knee braces could do it. Hope this helps some. Dr Rich Blake

In brief: Swollen Foot Vein

I am assuming it does not hurt.
Dr. Richard Blake
Dr. Richard Blake
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine