I had cramping and diarrhea all night, now I am passing blood. Could I have bleeding hemorrhoids?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Not likely

Hemorrhoids do not cause cramping and diarrhea.
These symptoms are more suggestive of colitis or an infection. See your doctor even if it gets better on its own. All rectal bleeding needs to be investigated to make sure that you don't have a serious cause.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
I agree that hemorrhoids are not likely causing this patient's symptoms, that colitis is much more likely.
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: See a doctor quickly

There are many causes of blood in the stool.
These include hemorrhoids, benign and malignant tumors, infections, poor blood supply to the intestine, inflammatory disorders of the intestine, etc. Your symptoms require urgent medical attention.

In brief: See a doctor quickly

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Marsha Davis