I have a swelling on the side of my nail on my finger. Is there something I could do to get rid of it? It hurts.

In brief: Depends what it is

Causes of a swelling or a growth on the side of a nail include a wart, an ingrown piece of nail, a torn piece of skin (not healing properly), a splinter, a small skin infection, etc.
.. If thoroughly soaking it and cleaning it, followed by leaving it alone for a day or two under a bandaid, doesn't help much; then a primary care doctor or dermatologist needs to examine it and do other treatment.

In brief: Depends what it is