I have had chronic diarrhea for a few years now and have been told I have IBS due to negative blood tests. But the pain is terrible. What do I do?

Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Be evaluated.

Ibs is a clinical diagnosis made on symptoms.
However many different things may result in chronic diarrhea and if the symptoms are worsening, not controlled and changing than you should be re-evaluated.

In brief: Be evaluated.

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Second opinion

I recommend you see another gastroenterologist for a second opinion.
Even if the diagnosis is correct, it doesn't sound like you are receiving adequate treatment for your symptoms.

In brief: Second opinion

Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Pain Management

In brief: Pain Assessment.

A thorough gastrointestinal evaluation would be appropriate by an appropriately trained provider. Negative blood tests by themselves may not indicate ibs.
There are many specific tests which can be run and many different medications which could be tried for the treatment of the pain as well as to control the diarrhea.

In brief: Pain Assessment.

Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Vikram Patel