Do carbs or protein build muscle?

Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine

In brief: Building Muscle

If you are trying to build muscle then you need protein.
Most people consume too much carbs. Also you are much better off having 5 meals a day then 3 meals. I supplement between the three main meals with a zero carb protein shake. It provides the carbs and keeps your body fueled. You need at least one gram of protein per body pound per day to maintain and build muscle mass.

In brief: Building Muscle

Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Sean MacKenzie
The above assumes you are do strengthening exercise such as lifting weights. Just consuming more protein will not build muscle. Most people probably get enough protein from abnormal diet for normal weight lifting for health and strength. For high-level athletes and those with low body fat working on body-building, protein supplementation is essential. Too much protein may be bad for you.
Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Both needed

Carbs provide the energy needed to exercise and protiens are the "building blocks" of muscle.
Techically you need both.

In brief: Both needed

Techically you need both.
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton