I am taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) with minimal side effects only light sedation. Going to try hydroxyzine. Will I get more side effects than Benadryl (diphenhydramine)?

Dr. Catherine Spratt turner

In brief: Hydroxzine

It depends upon the dose you were taking.
Benedryl is a antihistamine that is usually very sedating. If you were on a small dose of benedryl and now u You are going on a large dose of Hydroxzine you may have more sedation.

In brief: Hydroxzine

Dr. Catherine Spratt turner
Dr. Catherine Spratt turner
Dr. Shadia Constantine

In brief: Maybe...

I only found one head to head comparison and the study was small.
Seems that hydroxyzine has more "anti-itch" effect. The side effects were similar. In a non-scientific website surveying users, seems that Hydroxyzine had more reported side effects. I would like to know what kind of effect are you looking for. They both have some similar and different actions.

In brief: Maybe...

Dr. Shadia Constantine
Dr. Shadia Constantine
Dr. Marsha Davis