Take 10mg Buspar (buspirone) am & pm. Moved pm dose from ~8 to 5 but then felt dizzy/faint after that dose ~.5 hr later. Twice. Never after am dose. Any ideas?

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Half dose

I would try taking half a pill.
Buspar (buspirone) is not a coated/long acting pill so should be fine. If scored you should be able to break in half. If not get a pill cutter. If that works you can ask your doc for 5 MG pills on your next refill. Buspar (buspirone) max dose is 60 MG daily and you can Take it every 4-6 hrs. Hope this helps

In brief: Half dose

I would try taking half a pill.
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
As long as you are able to tolerate the full 10 mg in am you can continue to take it that way. Though you may want to try 5 mg three or 4 times a day. Buspirone has a very short half life and I generally prescribe as 3-4x/d. Of course you should discuss this with your prescribing doc or at least let (s)he know what you are doing and then discuss benefit and/or side effects at next appt
Dr. Bruce Jacobs

In brief: Yes,you are

taking the doses too close together, and the drug levels in your blood are higher,causing your symptoms.
Separate the dose by another hour or two at least and see if this works better.

In brief: Yes,you are

Dr. Bruce Jacobs
Dr. Bruce Jacobs
Dr. John Moranville
I disagree. Since Buspirone only has a half life of 2-3 hrs about 70-80 % of the am dose should have been metabolized by 5 unless some reason for slower metabolism or drug interactions. I usually prescribe 3-4 x/d starting with 5 mg doses then increase as tolerated up to a maximum of 60 mg