I have acid relfux ( acid coming up). PPIs ( Prilosec, Nexium, and Prevacid) give dizziness and swelling in my throat. Doc won't put me on prescription. Zantac and Pepcid isn't strong enough. No h.pylori. Should I take ppi regardless of side effects?

Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Reflux

Have you tried strict dietary measures like avoidance of caffeine, alcohol,nicotine,spices, and greasy foods which can loosen the sphincter or valve between the stomach contents and esophagus? You could try taking gaviscon as a preventative of gerd.
Sometimes symptoms are not due to acid reflux but due to bile reflux which doesn't respond to ppi's or zantac (ranitidine).

In brief: Reflux

Dr. Charles Gordon
Pediatrics - Adolescent Medicine

In brief: Acid reflux treatmen

The meds you listed all work by reducing the amount of acid secreted into your stomach.
Why don't you take a liquid chemical base which will neutralize the acid in your mouth, esophagus & stomach. That is why you should have stayed more awake in HS chemistry class!

In brief: Acid reflux treatmen