I was told that I was literally asking for cancer if I chose to cheat on my celiac diet. Is that true?

Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: No

Patients with untreated celiac disease have a 6-fold increased risk of t cell lymphoma compared with treated celiac disease.
Although this increase is significant, it would be inappropriate for your physician to state that you are "asking for cancer.".

In brief: No

Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Not so

Untreated celiac has an increased risk of bowel lymphoma, and esophageal cancer too.
It also has increased risk for iron deficiency, osteoporosis (brittle bones), osteomalacia (vitamin d deficiency, soft bones), lots of other symptoms, and nonintestinal problems. Cheating on the diet is not a good idea, even without symptoms. Sometimes if you get symptoms you may regret why (lymphoma).

In brief: Not so

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Celiac & Cancer

Some malignancies are more common in patients with celiac disease including intestinal and extraintestinal lymphoma and carcinomas of the upper GI .
The magnitude of increased risk is moderate (standardized incidence ratio of 1.3, 95% confidence interval 1.2 to 1.5 in one study [61]) and appears to normalize within a few years of gluten withdrawal.

In brief: Celiac & Cancer

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Nicole Bressler
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Depends

Celiacs is associated with t cell lymphoma cancer & there is a risk of getting if you do not follow a gluten free diet.
With celiacs, your body's immune system will attack & destroy your intestinal cells that absorb your nutrients if you eat gluten. You are also at risk of essential nutrient/vitamin deficiencies if you eat gluten, skin rashes, seizures, depression, arthritis, & more.

In brief: Depends

Nicole Bressler
Nicole Bressler
Answer assisted by Nicole Bressler, Medical Student
Dr. Arnon Rubin