I would appreciate some opinions on the use of cannabis in medicine. If it were legal, would you prescribe it?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Not in current form
It is legal in some states, at least at the state level.
The way it is currently handled, it is not medical in any way. There is some great research into the cannabinoid compounds with many potential benefits for pain, mood, bone health and even addiction to name a few. However smoking a plant that is harmful to tissue such as lungs and heart and dosing is not regulated is not medicine.

In brief: Not in current form
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Gregg Albers
The best way to do this is to purify the active ingredient, likely THC, then test this for safety. Dose of a substance can make a huge difference in its safety. You don't want the tars and other residual substances that smoking raw or fortified marijuana gives you.
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Opinion
It is legal in several states and prescribed quite commonly in them. I think we're wrong headed about cannabis, because it is being prescribed for almost anything and in any intensity.
Particularly with pain issues. We need more research if we are going to so willingly offer this treatment.

In brief: Opinion
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Moneil Patel
General Practice
In brief: Tremendous
I do not have enough characters to discuss this, but currently physicians can only recommend.
Marinol was a THC prescription pill which excluded the medical benefits of cannabis. Cannabidiol is currently the most therapeutic component of cannabis. If your state is medically legal, I suggest you consult that physician. He or she may help you.

In brief: Tremendous
Dr. Moneil Patel
Dr. Moneil Patel
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Pain Management
In brief: It is illegal
Cannabis is illegal by federal law, although some states have set conditions to legalize it.
Federal law though trumps state law. There is research under way for medical prescription of cannabis.

In brief: It is illegal
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Martin Schaeffer