I have shingles on the lower rightof my back. The pain is pins and needles. Is it normal to vary in intensity from no pain to numbness down my leg?

In brief: Symptoms can vary

Several key issues, as an attack of shingles may respond very well to medications.
Yes, intensity can vary and referred symptoms at the same rootlet level are not uncommon. But if pain or electrical sensations are not sufficiently quelled, you may require modification of your current treatment regimen. This could evolve to chronicity. Keep your doctor updated on your condition.

In brief: Symptoms can vary

Dr. Vikram Patel