I have had spine pain in neck/upper back after accident over mth ago. Every dr I've seen says its muscle strain. The pain is not a muscle its spine?

Dr. Douglas Linville II
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Whiplash

If xrays/mri are negative, then this is a soft tissue injury.
The spine includes the bone, disc, nerves, and muscle/ligament/tendons. Very nonspecific term. Nonetheless, it is not uncommon to have persistent pain after a whiplash injury including headaches. Aggressive early mckenzie pt can be helpful along with nsaid's/tylenol, salonpas hot patches. Repeat eval and further studies if no better.

In brief: Whiplash

Dr. Justin Esterberg
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Neck

It is true that muscle strain is the most common cause of acute pain in the neck after injury.
However other sources of pain include the discs, joints and nerves. If the pain doesn't go away you should be reevaluated.

In brief: Neck

Dr. Eric Weisman