I was born with a small hole in my heart could I have out grown it how would I know if I didn't ?

Dr. Lars Erickson
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Usually so

Technically, everyone is born with a "hole in their heart" between the upper chambers (atria) called a patent foramen ovale (pfo).
This closes gradually over time, but in 1-in-7 people it never closes completely. Holes between the lower chambers (ventricular septal defects or vsds) can also close over time. A vsd makes a murmur your doctor can hear. A PFO does not but testing is rarely needed.

In brief: Usually so

Dr. Lars Erickson
Dr. Lars Erickson
Pathology

In brief: VSD

Many people outgrow a ventricular septal defect (which i bet is what you are describing) during childhood as the muscle develops and occludes the hole.
However, ignoring a vsd that remains in place is very dangerous. A physician needs to follow you closely and advise about need for surgery and/or infection prevention.

In brief: VSD

2 comments
Dr. John Charpie
The small hole could also be a connection between the upper chambers, a so-called atrial septal defect, which is even more benign than a VSD. Regardless, you should follow-up with your physician who could always order a cardiac ultrasound if he or she was the least bit concerned that this hole was still present.
Most atrial septal defects are never even detected -- thanks Dr. Charpie for mentioning this, and there are others. Today we know that closing atrial septal defects can relieve these people of (surprise!) migraine.
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: ECHO

If it was a small muscular type of ventricular septal defect usually are asymptomatic and spontaneously close with time.
An echocardiogram or transesophageal echocardiogram can show if there is any resudual vsd. A small ASD will not close. A patent foramen ovale may close or become probe patent only.

In brief: ECHO

Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology