Are there any birth control pills available to treat PCOS that are low in estrogen/estrogen-free? I have migraines and am currently on Yaz, and want to reduce my stroke risk. I'm in college and the OBGYN clinic here on campus is very unhelpful.

Dr. Matthew Parker

In brief: Hmmm...

Short answer is yes: there are low-estrogen oral contraceptives.
Not sure you'd want to do that, though. First, the ovarian cysts can only be controlled if ovulation is stopped, and this requires taking estrogen to inhibit pituitary FSH release. Without estrogen the cysts might rage out of control. This estrogen must (I believe) be balanced with progesterone and testosterone, EVEN in PCOS patients

In brief: Hmmm...

Dr. Eric Weisman