I have Crohn's disease and everytime I drink coffee, I must use the bathroom many times after. Any reasons why?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Common symptoms

Coffee and caffeine often increase intestinal motility and thus trigger bowel movements.
(One of my patients called coffee her "colonic tonic".) With Crohn's disease, you may be extra sensitive to this normal effect. You may need to stop drinking coffee or reduce the amount. Best to discuss with the doctor who cares for your Crohn's disease. Good luck.

In brief: Common symptoms

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Lactose intolerance also might be possible, and it often first becomes apparent in te teen years. Crohn's and other inflammatory bowel diseases can make lactoce intolerance worse. While the usual amout of cream in coffee would be unlikely to an issue by itself, perhaps you often take your coffee with, yogurt, milk in cereal, etc. Also discuss with your doctor.
Dr. Andrea Brand