Which is safer? Nitrofurantoin or cipro (ciprofloxacin)?

About same, but... Both are very safe; t frequency of serious adverse reactions is probably about the same. However, nitrofurantoin is less likely to make your body's bacteria resistant to antibiotics, making it harder to treat future infections. Assuming you're being treated for a urinary infection, nitrofurantoin is preferred if active against the bacteria causing it. Discuss with your doctor.
These are different. antibiotics and are used in slightly different situations. Both are commonly used for urinary tract infections, and nitrofurantoin can be used as more of a "splash" antibiotic for most younger women who have UTI symptoms. It has also been used for prophylactic reasons. Cipro (ciprofloxacin) has slightly more prominent side effect profile. Thanks for trusting in HealthTap.