Is it possible to contract herpes if your partner of 3 years doesn't have it? I'm at a point where I'm really not sure if this is just bad razor burn?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Only by sex

The only way to catch genital herpes is sexual contact with an infected partner. Having no symptoms doesn't necessarily mean your partner doesn't have herpes; many infected people don't know it but still pass herpes to partners.
Razor burn and herpes are quite different -- if you have pimple-like bumps or inflammation in areas you shave, probably it's not herpes. But see a doctor ASAP to be sure.

In brief: Only by sex

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham