otc pain medication  and most prescribed don't tend to work for me. my doctors have stopped giving me them because of it. what can I do for pain?

Dr. Jennifer Lee
Ophthalmology

In brief: Pain specialist

I would see a physician who specializes in pain management.
They often have better resources to help with your issues.

In brief: Pain specialist

Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Elizabeth Black
I ran out of room in my comment, but i agree with this. however, these can be hard to find and many physicians are not accepting new pain management patients because it is so challenging and risky to both patient and physician. Good luck!
Dr. Elizabeth Black

In brief: Find a good doctor

The most important thing you can do is become as well educated as you can on the source of your pain and any additional options you may have other than medication for chronic pain.
Some of the most effective pain meds we have are the opioid class (like hydrocodone) they are most effective when used short term, as tolerance and dependency can easily occur with long term use and are undesirable.

In brief: Find a good doctor

Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Depends on cause

Your question is very hard to answer. By not working do you mean you have side effects, or poor pain relief.
It may be that the dose is not high enough. The "right" medication is the one that helps. Depending on the cause of your pain other medications may help you.

In brief: Depends on cause

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Vikram Patel