While taking a prenatal vitamin is folate (in whole food vitamins) and folic acid (synthetic vitamins) the same? Or is one better than the other?

The same! Folate is another name for folic acid, and for prevention of birth defects, or for any other purpose, there is absolutely no difference in effectiveness between Folic Acid that has been made in the lab and Folic Acid from a natural product. You should definitely take a prenatal vitamin that contains one or the other, but the manufacturing process is up to you!