I have a yeast infection and my doctor prescribed me a generic brand of diflucan (fluconazole). Can I drink wine while taking this medication? The wine is 5% alch.

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Not a great idea

Wine or alcohol is metabolized through the liver, and fluconazole also depends on the liver for processing.
You don't want to over do it, so the professional advice here is to abstain. You want to get better and get this infection over with, rather than cause some other problems like liver damage. Sorry but that's the truth as I see it. Call your doc if you have other major concerns.

In brief: Not a great idea

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham