Pain in foot and swelling?

Possible blood clot. This is a tough one. If its just one foot, first thing i would rule out is a dvt, or deep venous thrombosis. Other conditions to consider are infections, chf, vascular insufficiency, and kidney disease. Either case you need to be evaluated asap.
Get diagnosed first. There are a number of things that can cause pain in the foot. This is a very nonspecific symptom. I recommend that someone with sharp pain in the feet should be seen by orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon for a definitive diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be started. One in your area can be found at www.Aofas.Org.
Get it diagnosed. Some causes of pain and swelling of foot can include systemic problems such as hypertension, gout, and problems with the kidneys and localized issues such as arthritis, infection, lymphatic obstruction, blood clots, varicose veins, trauma (fracture, sprain, and tendonitis) and side effects to medication. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.
More information . And details would be helpful. Injury? Length of symptoms? Location? Please resubmit your question so we can help u. :)