Should I see a therapist or a psychiatrist for this: valium abuse for 5 years, anxiety, especially social anxiety, depression, low self esteem? Thanks

Yes. With such conditions and addiction, a patient should see both his primary care doctor and a psychiatrist. If necessary, the doctors may refer him to an addiction specialist.