I get so tense worrying about my exams I don't do well. How can I prevent stress getting in the way of good performance on my studies and on my exams?

Dr. David Hunter

In brief: Practice

Prepare as thoroughly as you can for each exam. In your spare time, take practice tests.
Use games like jeopardy and trivial pursuit to get comfortable answering questions. Find a person in your class and quiz each other. You may never enjoy taking exams, but you can get good and more confident at taking them.

In brief: Practice

Dr. David Hunter
Dr. David Hunter
Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Make An Investment

Investing in a course that teaches good study habits and test taking skills could be one of the best decisions of your academic career. Good study habits and test taking skills do not come naturally to everyone.
These courses can be found at local community colleges, high schools, adult education centers and in private institutions. Check on-line or the yellow pages.

In brief: Make An Investment

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Christopher Dowd

In brief: Stress management

Start by developing some "tools" you can use to help manage your anxiety.
Consider: breathing techniques, meditation, yoga, regular exercise, journal writing, talking with counselor/friend, prayer if you're spiritual. Use more than one. Practice them daily so you get good at them and can use them effectively when needed. If still a problem see your doctor.

In brief: Stress management

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. William Drescher
After you have tried the simpler treatments that Dr. Down listed, you might consider a low dose beta-blocker. This will not treat the stress, but will reduce the body's response to the stress and make you feel better and be better able to concentrate.
Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: See below

For very good advice SEE: http://bit.
ly/1t1LbhG. and for a very good APP for stress reduction SEE: http://bit.ly/1sahAS1 In addition to the above, ask your Dr, or go to your student health center, and discuss if Propanol would be appropriate for you to take just prior to taking an exam. Propanol is a Beta Blocker that blunts the effect( rapid heart beat,trembling and anxiety) of Adrenaline.

In brief: See below

For very good advice SEE: http://bit.
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Additionally,

In the short term, Propranolol can be used to trick your brain into believing you are not anxious.
See your doctor.

In brief: Additionally,

See your doctor.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Peter Kurzweil