What is the preferred blood thinner for 72yr male with hypertension and paroxysmal Afib Apixaban or combined (aspirin&plavix) which one is more safe?

Dr. Joel Gorfinkel
Cardiology - Cardiac Electrophysiology

In brief: Apixaban

Much more effective than the ASA and plavix (clopidogrel) combo in preventing stroke, and safer than warfarin.
I assume that he is not warfarin (Coumadin) intolerant. Of course, check with your doc.

In brief: Apixaban

Dr. Vijay Iyer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Depends on risk

Depends on CHADSVASC score.
If score >2 then should be on anticoagulant. If bleeding risk is low Coumadin, (warfarin) apixaban or rivaroxaban are acceptable. If bleeding risk is high then talk to your cardiologist about the watchman device.

In brief: Depends on risk

Depends on CHADSVASC score.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology