I am getting pains on my sides when I breathe. What can I do to stop this?

Dr. Christopher Dowd
In brief: See a doctor
Lots of possible explanations but if it hurts to breath you should not put off getting an evaluation and treatment.
The list of problems includes respiratory problems (such as asthma), respiratory infections (ie pneumonia, bronchitis), cardiac (heart) problems, musculoskeletal (muscle & bone) problems, back problems, even abdominal (stomach/intestine) problems.

In brief: See a doctor
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Thomas Stern
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Chest pain
In order to stop the symptom you have to treat the underlying cause.
The list of ailments that can cause chest pain with breathing is very long. In addition some of the causes are life threatening. The best thing you could do is schedule an appointment with your doctor.

In brief: Chest pain
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology