If I get cold sores, what is the likely hood that I would spread it to someone's gentitles from hand contact with their gentitles?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No risk, no worries

Spread of HSV to a new body area is called auto-inoculation and happens sometimes during someone's very first infection with HSV.
However, it's very rare in recurrent herpes; the immune system prevents it. (This is why couples both infected with genital HSV2 never pass it back and forth.) Use common sense hygiene, but don't worry if you touch your genital area during an oral herpes outbreak.

In brief: No risk, no worries

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
2 comments
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
You might give it to another person but most people are already immune because they harbor the virus, usually without knowing it.
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
I misread your question on first reply. Sorry for any confusion. The important thing is to not kiss or perform oral sex on anyone when you're having an outbreak of your oral herpes.
Dr. Adam Levy