I have a protruding sternum and noticed it since I was about 12 now I'm 28 and notice it's getting worse and at time causing aches. What are my option?

Dr. Katherine Caldwell
General Practice

In brief: Pectus carinatum

It sounds like what you have is: pectus carinatum. It doesn't cause any medical problems or shorten your life.
In extreme cases, it can be corrected surgically. Or there are braces you can try, which may alleviate your discomfort. Typically it stops changing after you stop growing as a teenager, but a specialist can take measurements and fit a brace.

In brief: Pectus carinatum

Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine