I have a bad cough and chest pain. I don't have a fever. Can you have pneumonia without a fever? Or do you always have a fever?

Dr. Eric Fete
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Either

you can have pneumonia without fever although it is usually present.
If you have severe or worsening shortness of breath, high fever, vomiting, or any other worsening symptoms you should go get an evaluation.

In brief: Either

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Possible, unlikely

It's possible to have pneumonia without fever, but unlikely.
Probably just bronchitis. However, other things could cause this, including potentially serious ones like a blood clot in the lung. Best to see a doctor. If you're also short of breath or get winded with activity or mild exercise, or if you cough up any blood, get seen immediately.

In brief: Possible, unlikely

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology