How to tell a cold from strep throat? Do you always have a fever with strep? Will there be white patches on throat? I have a cough and sore throat.

See a physician. 26 year old male with sore throat and cough. Most cases of sore throat are viral, whereas strep is a bacterial cause of sore throat. It is hard to tell the difference at home. Even physicians have a difficult time distinguishing between strep and viral infection based on history alone. Please see a primary care physician for a thorough physical exam and also a strep test for a definitive diagnosis.