My father age72,hypertensive with paroxysmal Afib taking aspirin &plavix,what is the safest anticoagulant to give bc im afraid of side effect &bleed ?

Dr. Ron Jones

In brief: Not Plavix (clopidogrel)

If your Father's afib is not secondary to a heart valve, Plavix (clopidogrel) is not the drug indicated for embolic prophylaxis.
I am not sure there is a totally safe anti-coagulant. Plavix (clopidogrel) is not absolutely safe. Plavix (clopidogrel) is not an anti-coagulant, it is a anti-platelet aggregate drug. Perhaps that are other reasons he was placed on Plavix (clopidogrel)? RJ

In brief: Not Plavix (clopidogrel)

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology