What causes costchondritis? I have been diagnosed with this condition several times. Can it be avoided?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Inflammation

This situation is usually caused by stress on the cartilage joining the ribs to the breast bone.
Poor posture, bending over to study or work (over a desk), lifting, bending and stooping which crams the joints together and other activities (like certain exercises and weight lifting) can inflame these areas. Usually painful to push in on the breast bone or along the edges (reproduces the pain).

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me try?

Costochondritis is an inflammatory process but usually has no definite cause.
Repeated minor trauma to the chest wall or viral respiratory infections can cause costochondritis. In people who use recreational IV drugs or who have had surgery to their upper chest. Fungal infection psoriatic arthritis, arthritis, such as ankylosing spondylitis all could cause this problem.

In brief: Let me try?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology